INTRODUCTION TO MUTUAL FUND PROSPECTUSES
Learn even more about this topic with the Encyclopedia of Personal Finance™
A prospectus is an invaluable information source for any mutual
fund investor. It's your key to the assets, management, and investment strategy
of the mutual fund. This tutorial introduces the major parts of mutual fund
prospectuses, the information they contain, and how they can help you choose a
mutual fund for yourself.
This tutorial covers only open-ended funds, which are funds whose
shares are sold back to them instead of to other investors. We will discuss the
following aspects of prospectuses:
- WHAT IS A MUTUAL FUND PROSPECTUS?
- MUTUAL FUND OBJECTIVES
- MUTUAL FUND MANAGEMENT
- MUTUAL FUND EXPENSES IN THE PROSPECTUS
- THE MUTUAL FUND SHAREHOLDER MANUAL
- MUTUAL FUND DETAILS FOUND IN THE PROSPECTUS
- SUMMARY OF THE MUTUAL FUND PROSPECTUS
Before we get into the major parts, let's first find out
what a prospectus is.